Candidate outlines his priorities

Philip Alderfer With your support we can: reduce energy costs; create good, sustainable jobs; provide a world-class education for our kids.How?• Invest in renewable energy like hydro-electric, wind, and tidal power• Support education innovations, like early childhood education and in-school academies• Apply fiscal discipline to the financial challenges ahead• Protect our clean water and healthy […]

New state PERS shouldn’t shift tax burden

Rep. Paul Seaton As far as I can tell, my opponent and I only substantially disagree on one issue, how much debt the state should take on to fund public employee retirement. One of the most difficult issues the Alaska Legislature has addressed was putting the public retirement system on a long-term path of solvency. […]

Are citizens interested in government?

By Barbara Howard Homer City Council member 2008 general municipal election results:  73 percent of the residents did not vote, leaving 27 percent of you in charge. Perhaps the presidential and state political races have saturated your thoughts and local government seems inconsequential. I propose just the opposite. A significant portion of your property tax […]

The road ahead may wind a bit

By Bill Smith Kenai Peninsula Borough Assemblyman A new term for me serving on the Kenai Peninsula Borough Assembly will be like the coming days on Kachemak Bay. I expect days of joy, experiencing pretty weather with light playing across the mountains being reflected on a blue calm bay. Other days will see a storm […]

Mayor works to make town better

James Hornaday Thank you Homer citizens for reelecting me your mayor of our Cosmic Hamlet by the Sea.  I will try and justify your faith in me over the next two years, keeping in mind our unique quality of life here in beautiful Homer.   Kudos to Mike Heimbuch and Kent Haina on their campaigns – […]

Call to action; Mayor-elect wades in

Dave Carey Since the election results came in on Oct. 7, my life has changed dramatically. I have many new “friends” and a great deal of people who wish to provide me with advice.  I am grateful to everyone, especially the 6,000 plus voters who elected me to serve the people of the Kenai Peninsula […]

Let us clarify our position

By Tina Day Sometimes even the best intentions can cause a point of contention, and that is what happened when the Homer Chamber of Commerce sent a letter to the North Pacific Fisheries Management Council on Sept. 22, 2008. The letter requested that the Council take no action on agenda items dealing with halibut allocation […]

Vote ‘yes’ on Prop 1 for seasonal grocery tax

By James Price, Joe Ray Krha and Fred Shurman Proposition One reflects our values and will help us build a stronger community. Please vote YES Oct. 7, to support seasonal tax relief for year-round Borough residents.Sales tax on groceries currently target year-round peninsula residents and place a large and growing tax burden on local shoppers. […]

Culinary Chronicles

By Nelda Osgood Kachemak Kids Early Learning Center has moved into the Community Christian Church building at 3838 Bartlett St., reopening there Sept. 16.Emphasizing that the center is non-denominational despite it’s new church location,  Bobbi Larrivee, KKEL’s new executive director said, "Kachemak Kids remains an independent non-profit early learning center and will continue to offer […]

Reduced halibut allocation for recreational anglers on agenda next week

By Sandra Hugg Among the many issues the North Pacific Fishery Management Council will be considering when they meet next week is a proposal to implement the NPFMC’s preferred plan for management of the Pacific halibut charter and commercial longline fisheries in Southeast and Southcentral Alaska. Their week-long meeting begins  Oct. 1 at the Anchorage […]

Like us on Facebook