• Iowa angler hangs on for jackpot win with 236-pound flatfish
By Sean Pearson
Gene Jones of Bellevue, Iowa won more than $20,000 in the 27th-annual Homer Jackpot Halibut Derby, thanks to a little help from a 236.2-pound flatfish and Captain David Bayes.
Jones landed the big fish on July 25, while fishing aboard the F/V Grand Aleutians.
Homer Chamber of Commerce Derby Organizer Paula Frisinger announced the results on Monday, explaining that Jones wins $10,000, plus $.75 on every Jackpot Derby ticket sold.
“We sold more than 15,000 tickets this season,” Frisinger said. “The precise value of Gene’s winnings will be calculated this week and announced at the Friday press conference.”
She added that the amount is estimated at more than $20,000.
When contacted about his winnings on Monday, Jones said he was “very excited” about the results.
“A fish like that is pretty special and to actually win is unreal,” he said. “I’m pretty elated.”
Frisinger said that this year, a record number of tagged fish were caught (29) with a total value of $18,000.
Monique Peters of Willow has won one of the six “big prizes,” defined as one over $10,000. Peters is unaware of the exact amount she won, and will learn the amount in person at a Friday press conference.
The winning name in the “Just for the Halibut” $5,000 prize will also be drawn, as well as the five kids’ prizes.
The Homer Jackpot Halibut Derby is the longest-running halibut derby, with the largest payout, in the state of Alaska. Recent changes to the rules have turned the focus away from the catching of large halibut in an effort to promote conservation of the resource.
Complete results will be released at a Friday, 1 p.m. press conference at the Homer Chamber of Commerce’s Visitor Information Center.
2013 Homer Jackpot Halibut Derby
Jackpot Winner: 236.2 pounds caught on July 25 by Gene Jones of Bellevue, Iowa. Jones was fishing Central Charters and Captain David Bayes aboard the Grand Aleutian
Tagged Fish Winners
• Janet Baldauf, Homer, $1,000, Sponsor: Bay Realty
• Chester Kaczanowski, Dearborn Heights, Mich., $500. Sponsor: Captain B’s Alaskan C’s Adventures
• Anthony Hanson, Anchorage, $500: Sponsor: Midnight Sun Charters
• Louis Nagy, Nazareth, Penn., $500, Sponsor: Café Cups
• Robert Beals, Nashville, Tenn., $500, Sponsor: Barb’s Video
• William Ivory, Anchorage, $250, Sponsor: Captain Scott’s Sportfishing
• Del Parks Jr. of Stockton, Calif., $500, Sponsor: HomeRun Oil
• Sherman Ampey of Paw Paw, Mich. $1,000 Sponsor: Homer Fish Processing
• Mitchell Levine of New York, NY, $1,000 Sponsor: Frosty Bear Ice Cream Parlor
• Gennie Kirby of High Point, NC, $1,000 Sponsor: Alaskan Suites
• Todd Carlisle of Blaine, Minn., $500 Sponsor: Adventure Alaska Car Rentals
• Richard Bennecke of Gardnerville, Nev. $500, Sponsor: Jackie and Clay Norvell
• Joseph Kuehn of Ojai, Calif. $1,000 Sponsor: Ocean Hunter Charters
• Brian Baker of Anchorage, $500, Sponsor: Arctic Bear Guest House
• Douglas Robinson of Anchorage, $1,000 Sponsor: Ulmer’s Drug and Hardware
• Myron Rafferty of Durand, Ill. $1,000 Sponsor: The Grog Shop
• Griffin Jory of Lakewood, Colo. $500 Sponsor: Homer Bed and Breakfast Association
• Warren Dick of Anchorage, $1,000 Sponsor: Pioneer Car Rental
• Lance Hagedon of Eagle River, $500 Sponsor: Cosmic Kitchen
• Chance Lockyer of Anchorage, $500 Sponsor: Print Works
• Randy Haines of Fort McDowell, Ariz. $500 Sponsor: Back to Action Chiropractic
• Michele Monsanto of Hilton Head, SC, $500 Sponsor: Mariner’s View Guest House
• Geri Eskelson of Anchor Point, $500 Sponsor: The Spyglass Inn
• Sara Ford of Kinta, Okla. $1,000 Sponsor: Homer Electric Association
• Shane Michael of Sterling $500 Sponsor: Sportsman’s Supply and RV Park
• Marian Ortiz of Cottonwood, Ariz. $500, Sponsor: Picture Alaska Art Gallery and Upstairs Boutique
• Brian Todd of Kenai, $500 Sponsor: Alaska Adventure Cabins
• Kent Thornburg of Lakewood, Colo., $250 Sponsor: Homer Jackpot Halibut Derby
Comments are closed