Homer Jackpot Halibut Derby
July 15, 2013
Derby action may have slowed up a bit this week, but that just means there are more of those lucky tagged halibut out there waiting for you. (Lucky for you, that is; I seriously doubt any of those halibut felt very lucky getting tagged.)
James Jell and his 198.2-pound halibut still sit atop the leader board at the Chamber office on the Spit. Jell, from Moscow, Idaho, reeled in his big flatfish on July 7 while fishing with Capt. Chad Kiesel and Silver Fox Charters aboard the F/V Arctic Envy.
So far, a total of 22 tagged fish have been landed since the Derby’s start in May. That includes the latest one, hoisted in by Randy Haines of Fort McDowell, Ariz. Haines caught the fish on July 13 while fishing with Homer Ocean Charters.
Homer Community Recreation offerings
• Mats in the high school mat room are available to Popeye wrestlers at 5:30 p.m. today (Wednesday).
• Volleyball competition kicks off at the high school at 6 p.m., and Pickle ball starts at 6:15 at the Homer Education and Recreation Center.
• A 5 p.m. karate competition will take over the mat room at the high school on Thursday.
• Fencing takes to the commons at 5:30 p.m.
• Basketball takes over the gym at 6 p.m.
• The weight room also opens at 6 p.m.
• Friday: Pickle ball in the HERC gym, 6:15 p.m.
• The Kachemak Bay Running Club uses the high school track every Tuesday at 6 p.m. No dogs or bikes allowed on the track.
• Homer Tennis Club plays every Monday, Wednesday and Friday from about 4 – 6 p.m. on the high school tennis court.
Summer softball season ends soon
Homer’s summer city-league softball heads into its final week of play before starting the city tournament on July 27-28.
The Growlers sit atop the league standings with a 13-2 record, ahead of No. 2 Best Western Riptide by three games.
Results from last week’s games saw Beluga Lake Lodge pick up a 27-8 win over the Down East Saloon on Tuesday, before falling to the grueling Growlers 10-14 on Wednesday.
Riptide edged Kharacters 19-17, and then downed Down East 13-8 on Thursday.
Spenard Builder’s Supply notched a 23-16 Wednesday win over Kharacters, but then fell to the Growlers 15-18 on Thursday.
Monday games saw Kharacters pick up an 11-3 win over the Alibi, while Riptide ripped the B’Lodge 17-1.
Current Softball Standings
1. Growlers (13-2)
2. Riptide (10-4)
3. BLL: (10-5)
4. SBS: (8-7)
5. Kharacters: (5-10)
6. Alibi: (5-9)
7. Downeast: (0-14)
Comments are closed