Obituaries – June 19

Homer resident, Thomas Wilson “Tom” Temple passed away Thursday, June 6, 2013 surrounded by his wife and children at Alaska Regional Hospital in Anchorage from complications related to his heart transplant.
A memorial service will be arranged in late August.

Thomas Temple

Tom was born Feb. 15, 1957. Son of Anchorage residents  Sarah (Sally) May Johnston and Brad Temple, Tom was a life-long Alaskan. He loved the land, the water, the fish and — most of all — the people of Alaska. The majority of his life involved either fishing or talking about fishing. Tom loved scouting for the perfect set from the flying bridge, picking salmon and herring from the net, dip-netting on the Kenai, pulling halibut gear and chatting with fishermen at the Homer Gear Shed.
During his 45 years of fishing, Tom met many great people, many who became his close friends and all of whom he cared about; including Lynn, his wife and life-long partner. They met in 1985, married in 1989 and fished together for 27 years. Tom had three children, Ben, Reba, and Jill. The family was fortunate to fish together for the past 15 years and Tom’s wife and children will always cherish these times on the water.
Tom had a heart transplant in 1986. Although this created many health complications, Tom didn’t let it affect his lifestyle. He lived like a fisherman until the very end. Tom and his family are grateful to the people of Homer, the Cardiovascular Center at University of Utah, the Alaska Heart Institute, Providence Hospital, Alaska Regional Hospital, the Kidney and Hypertension Clinic of Alaska and the Alaska Cancer Treatment Center for caring so well for him. Every day with Tom was a gift to his friends and family.
Anyone who sat down for a cup of coffee and a chat with Tom was his friend; he had an amazing ability to engage anyone. His friends appreciated his sense of humor, his gentle and humble demeanor, and his constant readiness to listen. If you needed to be saved in a storm out at sea, or someone to entertain your toddler, you could trust Tom to do the job. He cared for people very much and he will be greatly missed.
Tom is remembered by his family: sister and brother in-law, Becky and Garnet Roehm, their children Mathew and Galen of Vista, Calif.; aunt Judy Temple, of San Antonio Tlayacapan, Mexico and her son James Bradley Hood of Homer, Alaska; cousin Cheryl Temple, her husband Geary Gresham, and their children, Hartwell and Kylie of Blaine, Wash.; his son and daughter in-law Ben and Jen of Hubbard, Ore.; and his wife Lynn and daughters Jill and Reba of Homer, Alaska.
Arrangements were cared for by the Anchorage Funeral Home and Crematory. Please visit Tom’s obituary and online guestbook at

Travis James Coffey Sr. May 21, 1979 to June 9, 2013
Travis Coffey passed away on Sunday June 9, 2013 in a motorcycle accident. He was 34. He is predeceased by his mother, Corinne Coffey, his father, Michael Coffey, and his aunt, Linda Fitzpatrick. He is survived by his sons, Travis Coffey, Jr. and Ashton Coffey, his daughter, Trinity Scott, his wife Nina Coffey, his brother Adam Morrow, his twin sister, Amber Coffey, and his cousin Katie Fitzpatrick.

Travis was born in Eureka, Calif. to Corinne and Michael Coffey. He moved to Homer in 1990 and has been a Homer resident for the last 23 years.
Travis graduated from Homer Flex High School in 1997. Over the years, he worked in various jobs from cooking at Beachcombers, baking at Sourdough Express, and maintenance for the school district. He found a love for landscaping working for Wolfe’s Lawn and found his true calling working as a journeyman meat cutter for both McNeil Canyon Meats and Kachemak Wholesale.
Travis married the love of his life, Nina Coffey, on July 27, 2007. They were blissfully married for almost six years before his passing.
Memorial services will be held for Travis at the Church of Christ, East End Road on Saturday, June 22 at 2 p.m.
A memorial fund has been set up for Travis’s family at any Wells Fargo location under the “Travis Coffey Memorial Fund.”






Gillian Mary Shaw Munn died on May 8, 2013 from cancer. Gillian was born November 23, 1938 in Leeds, Yorkshire to Norris Edward Shaw and Olive Mavis Shaw. She is survived by two brothers, Peter Ray Shaw and Christopher Edward Shaw.
Gillian’s life began with the outbreak of World War II in 1939. When the sirens sounded her parents got the children out of bed and sheltered in the cellar of the house until the “all clear” siren sounded.
Gillian left Lawnswood High School at age 16 to attend Leeds College of Commerce. She then joined Pearl Assurance Co. as an office worker. Later Gillian worked as a ticket clerk in the Leeds office of British European Airways. While with BEA she took advantage of free or heavily discounted flights and became a travel lover which led to the purchase of a one way ticket, Glasgow to San Francisco, on a cargo boat. In San Francisco she worked again as a ticket clerk.
In the early 60’s she married William M. “Bill” Munn, They divorced in 1985. She then began attending church regularly, grew her collection of animals, fell in love with opera, and enjoyed walking and camping in the mountains. She always read a lot and visited the cinema.
In California Gillian became a registered nurse. Later she attended Calif. State University at Hayward earning a BS in nursing. She worked at AltaBates Hospital in Berkeley before going into home health nursing. With the onset of back and knee problems, she coordinated patient care from an office through the Visiting Nurses Association.
Gillian met her good friend and travel companion, Penny James, in the early 1980’s at St Albans Episcopal Church in Albany, CA. On an Elder Hostel trip to New York City (one of many trips over 15+ years) they visited the met, saw Broadway plays, ground zero and other NYC sights. Gillian also aspired to do some acting, but for Gillian it was always mostly about the animals —wild and tame. She was devoted to her beloved cats and dogs.
Penny & Gillian at Tierra del Fuego: 3.079 Km to Bo Aires, 17.848 Km to Alaska
After retiring In the Spring of 2009, Gillian and Penny packed her Subaru to its limits, then headed off —2 women, 9 cats, 2 dogs, 4,000 miles and scorching heat. North to Alaska! Upon arrival, Gillian quickly immersed herself in the life of the community. She joined St. Augustine’s Episcopal Church, served as senior warden in 2011, and became a licensed lay leader in 2012. She served on the library advisory board, November 2010 to April 2012, and she was an active member of Homer Animal Friends.
In October 2012 Gillian went “on safari” to Tanzania. “A little thing” like cancer couldn’t stop her. Penny was unable to go, so Gillian went alone. She later commented to a friend that if she had the energy and money she would go again “in a heartbeat”!
Memorial services: 6 p.m., Tuesday, June 25, 2013, St. Augustine’s Episcopal Church, 619 Sterling Highway followed by reception and potluck dinner.

Contact the writer
Posted by on Jun 19th, 2013 and filed under Obituaries. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed

Like us on Facebook